Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Friend or Frenemy

People say as you get older your views about people in your life start to change.  I never really paid too much attention to that, but in the last six months I've really noticed there are some crappy people in my life.  I have never been the girl who sticks to a group of friends, I tend to have several friends from very different groups.  I don't like to belong to one group in particular because I may not like everyone in that group.  I don't see why I should be part of a group if I can't stand 75% of the people in there. 

Since moving to Houston I have made several random friends here and there, some I am still friends with and some I have parted ways with.  I do believe each one was in my life at a particular time for a certain purpose.  However, I do believe I still have some very toxic people in my life right now and I'm not sure how to get rid of them.

I met one girl here and over the past year I have realized she is not who I thought she was.  We got along so well when we first met.  I thought she was just like me...sweet with a splash of vodka, but she's more like a hard shot of tequila...all fun and games until the next morning then you hate yourself and that shot!  She has a group of friends that she has known for a very long time. I at first was so jealous of this group of girls. I thought it was so nice that they had been friends for years and were so close.  However, now being around this group I know I am the lucky one.  They talk about each other behind their backs.  They judge each other's relationships.  They judge their parenting skills.  I do not want or need friends like this.  The one girl I became very good friends with is one of the worst.  She is more of the friend who likes to say she has 5oo friends, but doesn't actually put forth the effort to maintain those friendships and when you stop reaching out to her she blames you.   Well, I'm not the girl to do that too. I will drop you like a bad habit.  I would rather have 5 friends who are there for me no matter what than 500 friends who mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to them. 

I've talked about this with my fiancé because I am definitely the type of person who will tell you what I think and walk away and not feel a bit of regret.  But he tells me to ride it out, because she is part of our wedding!  He says I shouldn't rock the boat right now.  :) Whatever. I will play this for now but after the wedding its either shape up or ship out.  I'm 30 years old I don't have time for these stupid mean girl games.

What kills me is I think most girls in Houston are this way.  They are either the burb girls who talk shit about each other or they are the downtown I'm too cool for you girls  I'm not saying all, so don't get your Hanky Pankys in a wad, but you must admit there are a lot of girls in the Houston area like this.  We've all known a few in our time here.  Just be honest...I won't tell. 

Now I'm not a professional, but my opinion is get rid of these people.  You will feel a million times better!  I know when I declutter my life of toxic people I sleep better at night and I'm not as stressed!  Hopefully after the wedding I clean out some more! 

Laters!

No comments:

Post a Comment